Saturday, July 15, 2006

Across the Marshes


I'd just sat down to write 'Railway Roundabout' today when my friend Rev. Mugo in Canada sent me this link to the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway site. Did I know about it? Do I know about it?? "Is the Pope a Catholic?" I ask myself!

Rev. Mugo probably has her own memories of the RHDR as it's not far from her home town of Rye.

The RHDR is a pretty unusual railway as it was essentially built as the fantasy of two very rich men back in the 1920's. You can read all about it on their excellent web site. They wanted to drive quarter-size express trains on 15" gauge and they commissioned one of Britain's best known model engineers - Henry Greenly - to design their locomotives and stock. Back in 1925 the LNER were introducing their A1 (later A3 Class) and the early locomotives in particular look very like Nigel Gresley's handiwork.

Location was a problem to start with but eventually the Romney Marshes in Kent was chosen. The main line extended to 13 miles of double track.

Amazingly and despite some 'touch and go moments' this line has survived and is - as you can see - well worth a visit! I saw it several times in the early 1960's at what I see now was a difficult moment for the RHDR. As a teenager I'd ride the 60 miles or so each way on my Triumph motor bike along deserted country roads with never a policeman in sight to get hauled by a Pacific across the marshland. Lovely! No wonder I grew up to be an insatiable gricer.

By the way ... if anyone has any fantasies about building a railway for fun I know a very pretty and remote valley in Northumberland that I've always thought would be the perfect place for 2'3" narrow gauge steam ...

Thanks to the RHDR site for the picture

3 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, July 15, 2006, Blogger The Draughtsman said...

I gather you have the West Allen valley in mind Iain. But there is the South Tyne Valley which has already got a line. It runs all the way to Slaggyford now. Well, bank holidays only, otherwise Gilderdale as usual.

 
At 5:53 PM, July 19, 2006, Blogger Eddie said...

I have heard about this Brittish 15 inch guage railroad for many years, and I would like to see more photographs of it, whenever You can. Nice miniature "Gresley" pacific.

Thanks Iain.
Eddie.
http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com.

p.s I just uploaded a photograph of a Milwaukee Road EMD F-7 at the Illinois Railway Museum. USA.

 
At 9:41 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger Mugo said...

Thanks Iain. I never did ride on this train. It was a 'treat' that never happened unfortunately.

Perhaps when I'm next in the area....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home