Sunday, April 30, 2006

West Coast Mainline UK

My studio overlooks the West Coast Line as it heads north from Lancaster station on its way to Glasgow. Just byond my window is the River Lune over which the line crosses. About every hour or so the Virgin Pendolino electric trains purr past on their way to and from London. in between are Virgin's other trains, the Cross Country diesels which do not purr but roar like a lion with laryngitis.
Evenings is when things get busy. Britain's economy on the move.Heavy freight trains thunder by at three to four minute intervals. They must have got the spacing well sorted. Containers on flatbeds and these very heavy bulk carriers. One them stopped on the bridge once and I got a chance to read the spec on the trucks. 80 tons capacity plus 20 tons tare. Now with twenty of these trucks in tow thats a lot of heavy metal. These are usually hauled by single electric locos. All of which are named after German musicians, Franz Schubert, Gustav Mahler and so on.
I should be able to get a few pictures posted in due course. Being where I am gives me no excuse. Now, where did I put that camera?

- Norman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home