Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Harrogate Show


I always fancied having a serious 'go' at model engineering and in fact I have some boxes of machined 'bits' for a 3 1/2" gauge engine sitting in a garage in England. But on recent trips back to Blighty I've been more than impressed with the sheer professionalism that has crept into this area.

Take this for example - a 5" gauge model of an A4 I spotted at Harrogate Model Engineering Show in 2004. Good grief! To turn out something this size and quality you'd need a workshop bulging with the latest in digital machine tool technology and probably more cash than the original cost back in 1934. 'Model Engineering' when I used to read it up avidly in the 1960's was about casting wheels in your garden shed and finding a way to mill castings with a bicycle hub and a ground down screwdriver.

Nice model though eh? I could fancy driving this at a scale 'ton'. I remember the 12" to the foot version of 'Seagull' well - it was still in service when I first went up to university and I've got some nice cine film of it somewhere crossing Durham viaduct on a rainy Saturday morning

1 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Eddie said...

Hello Iain.
That is a wonderful photograph. Although I have never "Physically" been to England...I have always loved the Gresley A-4 Pacifics. We have one named the "Dwight D. Eisenhower" at our National Railroad Museum in Green Bay Wisconsin. (I have never been there yet)
If You find some spare time, I have just uploaded 3 photographs from the spring of 2006, showing some "Contemporary Chicago Railroading" I took this year.
http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com

Thank You Iain. Greetings to you from My side of the big pond.

Eddie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home