Thursday, June 01, 2006

The View from my Studio Window


The West Coast main line crosses the River Lune at Carlisle Bridge, so named because it is at that end of Lancaster station that leads to Carlisle. Obvious really I suppose. This ancient Maybach diesel is pulling some even more antiquated Pullman coaches on a Bank Holiday special excursion from Carnforth to who knows where. There hasn't been so many steam hauled specials lately. Network Rail have been a bit upset by a spate of steam locos breaking down and putting the whole of Virgin's West Coast trains behind schedule. Consequently they tend to be diesel hauled these days.
There is still some interest in it for me. In a previous incarnation way back in the sixties and seventies I worked at a steel foundry where we made the castings for these locos. So I can look at them and say, "I 'elped to build that!"

Norman

1 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, June 02, 2006, Blogger Iain said...

I'm trying to work out where your studio is Norman - castle side of the river downstream of the bridge?

Good grief! The viaduct is looking really tatty these days - do they never paint it? Unimaginable on JR. I hope they are looking after the structure better than those railings

 

Post a Comment

<< Home