Friday, June 02, 2006

C12


I have a real 'soft spot' for all kinds of small tank engines and there are three Japanese designs I especially like. Here is one of them - the C12 class introduced in the 1930's and used on many lines around here in Kanto.

Often when I'm waiting on a steamy country station platform down here in leafy Chiba-ken I like to imagine the ghosts of these machines chugging towards me through the hot summer afternoons of yesteryear with a couple of very much 'not-airconditioned' coaches with all the windows open. Of couse as soon as a tunnel turned up we would slam those windows closed soon enough.

The last C12's operated in the 1960's but there are several well-preserved examples around including some in steam on the Moka railway. I must pay them a visit soon.

Thanks for this picture to Kurogane no Michi

1 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, June 05, 2006, Blogger Eddie said...

Hi Iain.
I too have a major soft spot in My heart, for steam tank locomotives. I enjoy seeing the Narrow Guage examples at the Hesston Steam Museum in Indianna in person. Your photo's of English Narrow and Standard guage steamers will always have My appreciation.

Thank You.

Eddie.
http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home