Friday, July 28, 2006

Keihin Railway


I've mentioned before that there are several private railways operating in the Tokyo area, and here is one I haven't featured before. Actually I stll haven't ridden on it either because if I'm travelling in this area I usually already have a JR 'Holiday Pass' for the day that will take me on a parallel route for free.

The Keihin line runs south out of Tokyo more or less parallel with the JR Tokaido Line down to Kawasaki, Tsurumi, Yokohama and out to the commuter towns in the Miura Peninsula of Kanagawa Prefecture. As a lot of the route is cleared for 75 mph running it's one of the fastest private lines in Japan; even this 1000 Series 'all stations' EMU is capable of running at that speed.

The Keihin would make for an interesting model. A bit like Liverpool's old 'Overhead Railway', its natural habitat is the thirty or so miles of docklands along the west side of Tokyo Bay It also sevices Tokyo's Hanada Airport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home