Wednesday, June 07, 2006

'MX' in the snow


Back during the winter of 1968-1969 I was studying (is that what they call it?) in Aarhus in Denmark. I'm not sure that I took on board much settlement geography but I certainly enjoyed the country and the people despite pretty limited scholarship funding - I seem to remember that the end of the month was a lean time foodwise.

In January it got amazingly cold - real sea-freezing stuff. But of course that's no discouragement to the keen 'gricer'

Aarhus station is a 'reverse'. Well, probably it's changed now but in those days you drifted in from the south and only a couple of tracks went through the train shed and on out and down to the quay. Expresses changed locos and went back the way they came taking the northern tracks at the junction towards Aalborg.

Favourites amongst the engines for me were these fat 'MX' diesels which operated most expresses. I'd walk a couple of miles out of town on smowy winter nights to do some trackside 'gricing' where I could watch them at speed. Happy days!

Here's one beautifully restored to 1960's DSB (Dansk Statsbaner) Danish State Railways livery. Oh! That takes me back. That lovely Danish flag red ...

Picture thanks to DSB Museumstog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home