Sunday, June 17, 2007

GWR or God's Wonderful Railway

After a prolonged absence from this site, due mainly to my studios which were beside the West Coast Main Line,having been taken over by developers and so I was perforce removed from access to trains, - I'm back. Went on a coach trip to LLangollen yesterday and took a ride on the Llangollen Railway.
This is a short stretch of standard guage track running a regular steam service. The track is a disconnected fragment of I. K. Brunell's great GWR network. Back in the pre-British Railways days it was dubbed "God's Wonderful Railway. The locos are some real classics. None of the Pacific Giants of my LNER days here. The terrain had no use for them. Instead it was smaller, more compact machinery that was called for; saddle tankers and pannier tankers. The largest loco would have been something like the 2-6-0 that hauled our train shown here.
A view inside the cab. Notice how the regulator is set up for a driver on the right. Old LNER stuff had the regulator on the left. Take a look at "Mallard" of the "Green Arrow" in York to see what I mean.


Here is a shot of her moving down the opposite track enabling a decent look at the Stephenson's Link Motion.

3 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, June 18, 2007, Blogger Michael said...

Hello there,

I've worked on your too-dark train photos with Adobe Photoshop digital imaging software and they're now clear as day, showing the details you had wanted to display. It took all of about 10 seconds to accomplish.

If you send me an e-mail at henro1962(at)yahoo.com, I'll e-mail them to you and you can re=post them if you like.

(I used to live in Chiba Prefecture, not far from Iain.)

All the best,
Michael

 
At 12:05 PM, June 18, 2007, Blogger Eddie said...

Hello Iain!
It is great to see steam
of any kind at Your site
once again.
I am particularly fond of
Brittish Steam, like the GWR.
Chicago's PBS Television
station WTTW Channel 11 here
in Chicago has featured numerous
International railway shows, many
such as a series entitled
Great Steam Trains, hosted by
Niles Kingston...featured many
examples of preserved and operating
Brittish Steam in museum and mainline fantrip service.
I love the Gresley A-4 pacific
the Brittish Rail Stanier black 5 4-6-0 types, and the LMS Dutches
class 4 cylinder 4-6-2 types.

Thanks Friend.
Eddie.
http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com

 
At 11:09 AM, June 19, 2007, Blogger The Draughtsman said...

Thanks for the offer Michael but you made me realise I have similar technology using Corel. I simply raised the RGB tone curve a little. Sorted!
Don't know if I did it in less than ten seconds though.
Cheers
Norman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home