Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fuji Railway


On my trip to the MAGLEV line last week I had to catch a train on the Fuji Railway, one of hundreds of private railways in Japan. I don't have the statistics to hand but I seem to remember that the combined length of private lines is almost as much as the national JR system

If I could find the same book I'm looking for I could also tell you when the line was opened. But it's around 20 miles long and runs from O-tsuki up to the northern slopes of Mount Fuji. If you want to climb the mountain this is the easiest way to reach it. Maybe next year!

Many of the smaller private railways are 3'6" gauge and in fact the Fuji Railway has a junction with JR although I don't think there is any regular through running. Most trains are as you see here - two or four car EMU's.

It all reminds me of Switzerland or Austria a bit. Better service though - about three trains each way an hour.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Eddie said...

Hello Iain.
Greetings from "Rain Soaked" Chicago. I enjoy seeing this photograph for several reasons. One of them being that I enjoy electric railway subjects. While "Blue" is My favorite color, The "High Leval" doors remind Me of the CTA Rapid Transit -The overhead catenary and country setting remind Me of the South Shore Line electric railroad. I take it that "High Leval Platforms" are the passenger industry standard in Japan. Right?

Nice photographs again Iain.
Thank You.
Eddie.
http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home