Monday, August 28, 2006

Super Azusa


There are scores of 'named trains' running on Japanese Railways and here's one that I always think is pleasingly 'exotic' because of the 'bubble car' design of the front end of the EMU units. This is the 'Super Azusa'

The 'Azusa' was a train in steam days on this line and I think the name comes from a mythical bow used by Shinto deities. It runs from Tokyo(Shinjuku) to Matsumoto in the central ountains of Honshu, a run of about 150 miles, calling at Chino, Kofu, O-tsuki and Hachioji. The 'Super' version runs I think four times a day and only calls at Kofu.

Nice looking train. This picture was taken at a wayside station on my way back from O-tsuki last week when our local train was waiting 'in the hole' on the platform to the left for the 'pass'. I'd guess there was less than two minutes between us pulling up and the express rolling by, typical of JR's passion for split second timing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home