Monday, September 04, 2006

Going for a trip?


JR East has a number of party trains that are in regular demand for company outings and the like. Most of them are built on the 'mechanics' of 485 EMU tokkyu express units. Here's one of them in delightful honeymoon style pink - at this end trailer 484-3.

Hard to imagine six or eight car EMU trains making a revenue earning living like this anywhere else in the world. But in Japan company and other group outings are popular and you go with colleagues, not you wife or husband. The trains usually are fitted internally with long tables and chairs both sides, and en route revellers are served with bento and beer. Also there are plenty of nice locations that can be reached 'under the wire'

Well, I'm off on a trip myself now, no 'Railway Roundabout' from me for a day or two although I see Norman is back now. My next entries will be from Lancashire. Maybe I'll be gricing Preston or Durham station at the weekend!

3 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, September 05, 2006, Blogger Eddie said...

Hi Iain.
Looking back to the 1980's, there was an R&B Music Group called "The Gap Band" in America. They had a really cool sounding Dance Club Hit called "Party Train". While their Music Video had no Railway Images and was shot on location at a Beach...The record has a fake steam whistle and advises people to get a ticket and get on board. I wonder if trains like this were part of their inspiration. Heck! I'd like to have a beer and ask My wife out to the dance floor on this fun sounding express.

Thank You.
Eddie.
http://eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com

 
At 5:29 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Eddie said...

Iain? Hello?
Long time no posting there railfan chum. Are You alright?
We miss You fellow gricer.
Are You on Vacation perhaps?

Thank You.
Eddie.

 
At 1:41 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Iain said...

Hi Eddie

Thanks for your concern. I'm afraid a much heavier schedule than expected in England combined with 'lap-top' problems made posting impossible and I've been reeling with jet-lag since I got back to Japan a week ago.

Anyway a new post today! A new work schedule here means I might not get to post every day for a while but 'Railway Roundabout' should get published a few times each week. And Norman will be back from Cyprus soon (do they have railways there?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home